Thursday, May 3

IPad Changes The Literature Game

The joy of reading has never been better.

Picture carrying around your entire library of books in your briefcase. Picture having them all on your iPad. You don't have to picture this anymore. The dream of knowledge at your fingertips is now a reality. The tools we needed have been developed and they are powerful. We can use our time more effectively and work smarter to emerse ourselves in the world of literature without bounds. There are thousands of worthy books to read more that can be read in a lifetime.

I was able to go to various websites and download the classics for free. The gutenberg project is one that has thousands of familiar titles. I was able to get all of Mark Twain, Alexander Dumas, Hawthorne, Mary Shelly, Yeats, Dante, Hans Christian Anderson and many others.

The first book I read on my iPad was Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. It was a quick read and as I came to passages that I loved I was able to highlight them and copy them into emails that I sent out to friends and family. Occasionally I would come upon a word that I was unfamiliar with and I was able to tap on the screen and look it up so that I could have a clear understanding of the meaning. That made for a much more rewarding experience.

Then I downloaded "Notes From the Underground" by Dostoyevsky. This book was a great read. I felt like things from 18th Century Russia had not really changed much from what we experience today as humans walking on the planet. He really captures with the book what it is to be human.

The biggest surprise came when I downloaded a new book called "Peaceful Protests." The book was authored by Michael Douglas Carlin but cannot really be called a book because of all of the embedded videos that it contained. I was emboldened by the message that change can come from exercising our rights to free speech and protesting. But I was hope filled as I listened to the Bobby Kennedy "Ripples of Hope" speech it contained. Carlin does a great job of tying all of the elements together in a true multi-media experience. For a dollar and ninety-nine cents I really felt that I got my money's worth. I am hopeful that other titles are out there with a similar value.

The entire experience of reading is so much better on the new iPad. I would recommend it to anyone out there that is serious about reading and literature.